Persons who submit completed applications for the PTA Program no later than December 1 improve their chances of admission into the class starting the following August. Shortly after December 1, the PTA Program Admissions Committee will review all completed applications for admission to the PTA Program the following August. The goal is to fill the next cohort group for the following August with the most qualified applicants. Once the class is filled, remaining December 1 qualified applicants and qualified applicants who apply after December 1 may be offered positions in the class, or positions on the Wait List. Movement of applicants from the Wait List into an earlier class may occur if positions become available. Completed applications received after December 1 will continue to be reviewed until the class and the wait list for the following August start is filled.
A limited number of students are accepted into the academically competitive Physical Therapist Assistant program each year. Your high school record should reflect a college preparatory curriculum including four years of English, three years of mathematics, two years of social sciences and three years of laboratory science, including one year of physics. To be considered for program admission, you must meet all University of Saint Francis admission requirements and have:
- A minimum of one year of high school algebra, chemistry and biology, or its equivalent, with a grade of “C” or better.
- Exposure to work in the health care field through observation, volunteer service or employment.
- Knowledge concerning the profession of physical therapy.
- Two of the following criteria:
- High school cumulative GPA of “B” or better (3.0 on a 4.0 scale).
- SAT math and verbal score taken after May 2016; SAT 1080 or ACT composite 19; SAT math and verbal score taken prior to May 2016: SAT 1000 or ACT composite 21.
- If you took the SAT prior to April 1995, a composite score of 800 is required.*
- 12 or more credit hours in applicable college subjects with a cumulative GPA of 2.3 or higher. It is strongly suggested that at least three credit hours come from a physical or biological science course.
- Associate or higher level degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- 12 credit hours from USF with a GPA of 2.3 or higher in each class. It is strongly suggested that at least three credit hours come from a physical or biological science course.
*The Psychological Services Bureau (PSB) for Health Occupations Aptitude Examination may be substituted for the SAT or ACT. If you take the PSB, the Physical Therapist Assistant Admissions Committee will provide criteria for your results upon request.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Admissions Committee will identify qualified applicants for acceptance into the program. Following acceptance into the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, an applicant will be advised that, in order to secure the position offered in the PTA Class, no subsequent required general education credits can be taken until the applicant has begun taking courses at USF.
Have Additional Questions?
For more information about applying to the University of Saint Francis or being admitted to the Physical Therapist Assistant program, please contact the Office of Admissions.